Friday, October 8, 2010

Image Text




The image of the American spirit cigarettes were pasted on the above image of the desert in between the words "the" and "of".

My sentence was, "It is difficult to sum up in words and images what constitutes the spirit of a place."
This sentence was from the book Colours, which I found in the architecture section.

The sentence I found was a bit challenging to work with, trying to change its context with different images. I found that the sentence couldn't really be changed too much from its original meaning. The only thing I found I could play with was, 'what kind of spirit' I could be talking about, giving the image and text a different mood.

For the image of Disneyland it changed the meaning and mood to that of a playful one, talking about the uplifting spirit of the place.
For the image of the mosque it changed the meaning and mood to that of a religious or spiritual one, talking about the actual religious/spiritual presence revolving the mosque.
And lastly, for the image of the desert I thought about it from the point of view of an advertiser. There is literally an image of a 'spirit' smoking a cigarette on top of one of the mountains. In the right corner there is the image of an actual box of American Spirits placed into the sentence or slogan. The image is representing what the 'American Spirit' would be, thus creating the contextual meaning and mood that a spiritual, earthy, rugged, 'American' would smoke American Spirits.


No comments:

Post a Comment